Saturday, September 20, 2008

music 101 : sterling singers

Tonight I had the incredible opportunity to take photos for the Sterling Singers during their Music 101 concert at the First Presbyterian Church, in Salt Lake City, UT, USA. Music performed by the choir included works from Vivaldi, Bach, Händel, Mozart, Beethoven, Verdi, Bruckner, Brahms, and Fauré.

Photobucket


Photobucket

The church has many vibrant stain glass windows.

Photobucket

Near the main entrance, this Bible was beautifully displayed.

Photobucket


Kelly DeHaan, the conductor and masterful art director of the choir, taught his audience of pupils about each composer before the choir and organ or piano filled the church with the composer's inspired work.

Here, Kelly is sharing about his favorite composer of the evening, Beethoven, as choir members thoughtfully listen.

Photobucket


The choir truly sounded as though it were a choir of angels. Several times throughout the concert I had to simply stop shooting and focus all my attention to the music because I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of it all. I love music. I love singing. I love listing to inspired music performed by angelic voices.

Photobucket


The final song of the evening was a tribute to the Savior. During this number, my camera sat in my lap as tears welled in my eyes; what a fitting tribute to Him who has given us all.

Photobucket


Photobucket

3 comments:

kitkath1130 said...

Trina,

I'm a friend of Brandon Jones (who I think contacted you to snap these photos) and a member of the Sterling Singers. It was an awesome night!! Thank you for capturing it for us! Your photography is beautiful, and I appreciated your captions as well. We all had a sense of reverence and awe being in that beautiful venue and singing those beautiful pieces. Thanks again! Kathy S.

Knudsen Family said...

Thanks, Kathy. It was a very special night and I was blessed to be a part of it.

Bentley Studios said...

Gorgeous pictures and awesome blog fellow FTP'er!XXOO